One of the most devastating things to happen to a home is to have it swallowed in a fire. Every can be lost in an instant and many fires can be prevented by taking necessary precautions in your home. Carelessness is the cause of many accidents and the results are devastating.
Here are a few extra tips to keep your home safe from a fire.
Kitchen. Take a look around your kitchen. Is there a chance a flier from the fridge or a recipe could fly off around your stove? Remove anything that could potential ignite around the stove or an open flame. This also includes towels, aprons (especially the strings), and hot pads. Make a habit to make sure the stove top is clean- from clutter and spills. Left over spills from last night’s dinner can stink and smoke later, but also can pose as a fire hazard. Grease stains are especially challenging as a grease fire is quick moving and tricky to put out (don’t use water- pour flour on it).
Now that you have taken care of the physical items in your kitchen, focus on using safe habits. When cooking, always supervise your child, no matter the age. Put the handles of pots and pans on the stove toward the back of the stove to avoid getting knocked over. And focus on the task at hand. Trying to multi-task and do too many things results in lessened attention and heightened atmosphere for disaster.
Heating appliances in the home. Furnaces that are not taken care of can be the cause of house fires. Your furnace, big or small, needs to be inspected by a professional every year. The professional will clean it and make sure there are not any potential problems. If you use your chimney along with your fire place, make it a point to clean your chimney from any soot or debris every year.
Wires. Overloaded circuits, bad or exposed wiring is also the cause of a house fire, usually described as an electrical fire. With so much electricity going through the wires, and bad connection can ignite sparks. Unless you are a technician, do not start messing around with the wires in your home. This is not the time to start a DIY project. Hire a professional to make sure the fuses and circuits are wired correctly. Check to make sure that all bathroom and kitchen outlets are protected by GFCIs (ground-fault circuit interrupters).
Outlets. Speaking of electricity, do not overload your outlets with plugs for every gadget in the house. Keep it to a minimum and consider unplugging items not in use. If you have young children, find outlet covers so little fingers or other objects do not make it inside of the outlet.
Smoking. If you are a smoker, you pose more than just a health risk. Use an ash tray that is deep enough to gather all ashes. Remove lighters and matches from young hands and never fall asleep holding a lit cigarette.